You have done all your prep work and due diligence, found a startup you like and you are ready to invest so what happens now? Is it as easy as just sending the startup your money and you are done?
Before officially becoming an angel investor and being ready to invest you have to make sure you are certified, which means you are fully aware of all the risks and benefits of angel investing.
Becoming certified in the UK is a straightforward process, and there are a few different routes you can take depending on your circumstances. Let’s break it down:
Self-Certified: The main thing to remember when you are a self-certified investor is that you are putting your capital at risk and you are fully aware of the risks involved when you angel invest. Being a self-certified member means one of the following needs to apply:
- You have been a member of a network or syndicate of business angels for at least the last six months before the date below.
- Over the past two years leading up to this date, you have made multiple investments in unlisted companies.
- Within a two-year period, you have either worked or are currently working in a professional capacity in the private equity sector or in providing financial services to small and medium-sized enterprises.
- You have served as a director of a company with an annual turnover of at least £1 million within the last two years prior to the date below.
High Net Worth Individual (HNWI) Certification: If you’re a high net worth individual, you can seek certification as an HNWI. This involves proving your high net worth to financial institutions. This includes one of the following:
- An annual income exceeding £100,000 and excludes funds withdrawn from your pension savings, except when such withdrawals are intended for retirement income.
- You possess net assets totalling £250,000 or more during the same financial year. However, these net assets do not encompass your primary residence, any money obtained through a property-secured loan, rights under qualifying insurance contracts, or benefits payable upon service termination, death, or retirement. Similarly, withdrawals from your pension savings are excluded unless they are earmarked for retirement income.
The amazing thing is when you complete the live cohort course at the Angel Investing School you will automatically become a Self-Certified Investor and you will immediately be ready to invest after graduating from the cohort. So what are you waiting for? Join us for our next live cohort!